Question
Posted by: JJMB | 2008-12-02

Dog getting used to new lodger

I posted this on CyberShrink and discovered the cyberVet, LOL!

This was my post (yesterday):

" I have moved this weekend to a granny flat and I am very happy except for the big dog that wants to bite me. The problem is that I am very scared of this dog and don'  t know how to befriend the animal. I tried feeding it, and he eat the food but as soon as I touch my gate he charges at me. I know the dog will eventually get use to me but only if I do survive him. Please take this seriously. It is as if this dog doesn'  t have a personality. And I am very used to dogs for I have a Rottweiller (still at my parents house) and I love big dogs.

This whole thing is creating a problem for my liking for the flat, and I am thinking of moving out ..." 

I also tried giving it biltong that I chewed on, and he takes everything but he is still scared of me. This morning I again walked out with bread, and when I got to the gate he charged at me again, the owner suggested that I take a sambok but i am not a believer in hitting the dog,it will only aggravate him more! I try not to show him that I am not afraid but he is very jittery. Its been a week now and he still I still have not managed. A friend suggested giving him Valuim to make him calm and sleepy, but I am not sure ...

Please help me for I am in desperate need of advise.

Kind regards

JJMB

Dear JJMB

I think if you approach him with biltong in your hand every time he will soon love you to bits.

2
Posted by: JJMB | 2008-12-04

Thanks guys, the advice is really working.

Reply to JJMB
Posted by: jax | 2008-12-02

The other thing to try is to just sit calmly on your side of the gate and chat to him in a relaxed tone. Talk about whatever you can think of to say, but just say it in a quiet way, and stay there for ten or fifteen mins before going inside again. Just to emphasise that you aren' t threatened, and neither should he be.
jax

Reply to jax