Question
Posted by: Wendy | 2011/08/16

Dog gets irritated by car

When ever I get in to my car my dog makes a noise, barking until I drive away. He gives signals to other people, which I find very disturbing. Is there any way I can kick that habit?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Wendy, with the barking the easiest way to do this is to have the car parked int the driveway, invite the dog in and turn on the motor. The second the dog starts barking, turn off the car and just sit. When the barking stops, turn on again. This does take time and what you do is do is follow the same formula going a few metres at a time up the driveway and around your block. The dog will quickly figure out that when it starts barking the car stops. Practice this over and over, not necessarily going anywhere at all. Keep the distances short to begin with and slowly build up the time period. Also bring i cue such as 'good silence' when the dog stops barking.

Other things you can do is to teach your dog to bark on cue (article on this in www.friendsofthedog.co.za).

You can also try, and sometimes in conjunction with the first exercise to have a very special chew bone which has been liberally stuffed with biltong and the dog only get it when it goes in the car. This becomes one of the most important things in the dogs life and it cant wait to get it again. It will keep the dog quiet and busy in the car instead of barking.

The other thing you can try is management. Block off the dogs view to outside using 'window socks'.

I am not sure what you mean by 'he gives signals to other people', so have not covered that. Thanks and good luck Scotty

11
Posted by: Pieter | 2011/09/13

Is it your habit, or the dog''s?? You can''t " kick"  the dog''s habit. Maybe his backside...lol

Reply to Pieter
Posted by: Karen | 2011/09/07

I have a bull terrior that is 6years old. Male. He rules the home even thought we have an 8 year old Jack Russel. Why did he do this?
Also, how can i stop him from attacking the smaller dog?

Reply to Karen
Posted by: Anna-Marie | 2011/08/30

What is the best one can give your dog when you see him/her streching and going down on his/her forepaws as if he/she has a stomache ache ? My maltese poodle has a very sensitive stomach and sometimes you can literally see that she is in pain. The vet has given her flagile in the past and it seemed to help.

Reply to Anna-Marie
Posted by: Sim | 2011/08/29

I am a dog lover  however I don’ t allow my dog to sit on my lounge set as I find this annoying. The moment he runs into my home, he hops onto a couch and settles in, I have tried tapping him lightly with a rolled newspaper and scolding him, however, this is not effective, he is about 4 months old. How do I discourage this behaviour and get him out without getting too temperamental . Even the biscuit trick does not work !

Reply to Sim
Posted by: A | 2011/08/28

I sincerely hope that you manage to help your dog overcome this trait... it must be very distressing to all concerned...

I just wonder if my little kitten, which has opposable thumbs, would give the " thumbs up"  if I took her in my car....LOL :)

Reply to A
Posted by: Kitty | 2011/08/26

I think everyone has misinterpreted this query. If I understand correctly this person is concerned that when he/she gets into the car in order to drive away (leaving dog behind) the dog starts to bark. This in turn alerts others to the fact that he/she is leaving and is a signal in this respect that Nobody is home! In which case i think the question would be how to stop the doggie from barking as he/she leaves the property in the vehicle - thereby not sending signals out to all and sundry.

Reply to Kitty
Posted by: Andre | 2011/08/26

Please tell us!! What does your dog do? Sticking his tongue out to other people ? :-)

Reply to Andre
Posted by: Aquarius | 2011/08/25

Maybe he''s terrified of your driving and is signalling for the other people for help ? :-)

Reply to Aquarius
Posted by: D | 2011/08/25

What? Giving signals? What does that mean -explain!

Reply to D
Posted by: ICE | 2011/08/25

I can just see the dog giving the (middle toe would that be?) signal to other people LMOA.

Seriously though - what signals are you talking about?

Reply to ICE
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/08/17

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert