Posted by: Lynette | 2013-02-13

Dog frightened of thunder

My male cross between fox terrier and collie is petrified of thunder. We have tried numerous tranquilisers but to no avail.
He goes absolutely beserk when there is thunder - runs up and down barking and breathing heavy.
What can we do please.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Lynette, this is such a terrible thing for a dog and the trouble with this condition is that it tends to get worse! You really do need to get somebody in to help you with it, such as a behaviourist and even somebody that does TTouch as well. medication will help to a degree, but this really is one of the conditions that needs to be treated with medication, behaviour modification and TTouch really does make a difference. Have a look at this article on my site for Storm Fear Phobia which will give you some tips, and please feel free to get in touch with me and I will refer you to somebody. The link is

Nutricalm definitely helped my dogs to a certain extent, reducing the hysteria to anxiety, but they don't need it any more. Wrapping helped one of them a lot. Just wrap a bandage or even a cloth around the dog's body so it feels secure. They also don't need this anymore. Lastly, allow them to find a hiding place where they feel safe and make it comfortable for them and just accept the situation without fuss. Initially I took a book and sat by them in their safe corner, but not making any fuss of them, but now that is also not necessary. They go there themselves and stay there till it's "safe". I suggest you just be a good example to your dogs and don't get upset by it..

Posted by: Sanet | 2013-02-18

Hi, my dogs are alwo very scared of thunder. I took them to Quixi Sontagg who is a pet behaviourist and she started them on Lorien (generic of Prozac) and Xanor. It is both tablets that are used in humans as well. They are mostly find during thunderstorms just with the Lorien taken daily. If its really bad I will give them the tranquiliser (Xanor). Expecially if they go to the kennels and have to sleep outside in the wooden kennels I prefer that the owner gives them the Xanor. My Vet also let me try clomicalm, but it really didn''t work for them.

Reply to Sanet