Question
Posted by: Rosie | 2008/10/02

Dog Food

Please help. I have two adult pit bull terriers. They eat the same food. The male is in peak condition but the female is extremely thing (although she eats the most) and she is infested with mites and has dry skinlees pathces all over her body. We have de-wormed her and dipped her in stuff I got from the vet. Someone told me that it is caused by the tinned dog food we give them every day. Their main meal consists of dry pellets mixed with tinned dog food, scraps from the table and hot water. I have told my husband that we should cut the tins out, but he says it is healthier for them to have it. Someone also told me to feed her chicken livers every day so that she can put on weight. She really looks terrible and I would love for her to look as healthy as the male.
Thanks!

Dear Rosie

My advice would be to cut out the tins and buy the best quality dog food you can afford from a vet or vetshop. Depending on the age of the dog, she can aslo suffer from a medical condition. Best to take her for a check up.

2
Posted by: bart | 2008/10/04

there is so much difference of opinion. I wish we could find someone really honest who doesn' t have a political or moneymaking agenda about dogfoods

Reply to bart
Posted by: WR | 2008/10/02

What does your Vet say?
What food are they on?
Maybe she should go on to a food that is formulated for dogs with a sensitive skin (if mange or any other skin diseases are ruled out by your VET)
Regular treatment with Frontline (or the like) is a MUST!
The best quality dog food you can afford is a must.
For now, stop with the tinned food, tablescraps etc.

But getting the dog to the Vet is your first and most important priority!

Reply to WR