Question
Posted by: yoli | 2011/09/25

dog fighting

I have 2 yorkies- father 12 years and son 8 years .All of a sudden the son now starts attacking the father with no reason.What can be causing this?They both get the same love and attention from us

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Yoli, very often as aging takes place the behaviour will change with the 8 year old trying to take over top dog position, plus behaviour does sometimes change in older dogs.
Another reason could be physically related, in that the old man may be sore and is acting out when the younger dog tries to touch him.
If there is a physical component this needs to be sorted out first. i would suggest you take the dogs into your local vet and have them checked out physically first. Then and only then would I call in a professional for help. Aggress of any sort needs to be taken seriously and you need a professional for this. Have a look at www.animal-behaviour.org.za for a behaviourist near you. Good luck, thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/09/26

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert