Posted by: TT | 2009-04-02

Dog faints when he eats dry food

My Jack Russell faints when he eats dry dog food. He gets Hills soft food for dinner so I only give him dry food as a snack ie Hills pellets, Beenos or HIlls treats. I' m too scared to leave pellets avaiable when I am not with him as it now happens every time he eats the dry food. I though that it was because he eats very fast (he is very greedy) and because he eats so fast his air supply gets cut off. I mentioned it to my vet yesterday and he thinks that it might be seizures but would need to run tests. Before I do this can the Cyber Vet or anyone else tell me if it is because dry food contains something in it that triggers blood sugar levels? Also, please note that this does not happen when I moisten his Beenos in a little milk.

Dear TT

I think it is more serious that blood suger levels, heart problems? Epilepsy unlikely, not usually associated with eating dry food.

Posted by: steph | 2009-04-14

compression on the vagus nerve would require the dog literally to swallow a brick!!!! anatomically we are designed to NOT compress nerves/venous drainage or arterial supply....why did you think this was the cause???? besides, the layout is Vein, Artery, Nerve the order is superficial to deep for obvious reasons.

Reply to steph
Posted by: Gogga | 2009-04-05

swallowing hard food compressing the vagus nerve maybe?

Reply to Gogga
Posted by: Chill | 2009-04-02

Why don' t you soak the pellets before giving them to him? This would mean any uneaten ones would have to get chucked out before they go sour, so you' d have to judge the amount he' d eat quite well, but it should solve that part of the problem.

However, it' s definitely not normal and I would get the dog checked out - apart from what the cvet mentioned, think possible congenital problems with his swallowing/breathing apparatus....

Reply to Chill