Posted by: Jacques | 2009-01-09

Dog - Exzema - udder cream?

Hi, I have a chocolate labrador, male, 2 yrs, generally healthy. He is suffering from exzema on his back only. I have had him shaved to determine how bad it is. I don' t think it is a food allergy, he' s been on various vet allergy feeds with no change, I think it might be a flea allergy, he is on a vigorous flea treatment cycle, advantage &  programme. The skin is very dry &  flakey &  it itches him. He' s had several courses of antibiotics &  cortazone which give temporary relief.... What can I do? I' ve heard that a solution is to slather dairy " udder cream"  on the affected areas for a few days &  it will improve. Please advise, what suggestions do you have? Will the " udder cream"  help? Thanks, Jacques

Dear Jacques

I have never seen a dog with just palin eczema on the back. I think you are dealing with a flea bite allergy. Spray your whole house with Flego every 3 months and put Efazol on the dogs food. You can shorten the interval between Advantage applications.

Posted by: cece | 2015-06-18

I have the same problem with my chocolate lab. Have spent a fortune on allergy testing meds, office visits, shots, steroid. She gets weekly allergy shots. She is not outside nor swims in creeks, pools, etc. Nothing has helped. I have tried every kind of shampoo on the market. Someone told me to use udder cream. Haven't tried it yet. Was wondering if it did work.

Reply to cece
Posted by: Cestsibon | 2014-12-26

You say you have had a vet look at your dog? Did he exclude mange? It is an extremely difficult condition to get rid of. it looks and behaves like eczema. I literally had to put all my dogs on the farm down. I had a big rat problem and I suspect that they are the natural vectors of the mange parasite. A 'friend' brought his infected dog to my farm and so the whole farm got infected. i could not keep any dogs again on the farm. However if you live in a house on a small stand (small yard) I suggest you try giving your dog IVERMECTIN every 2 weeks for about 3 months and change the dog's bedding every week. You will also need to spray insecticide all over. once a week. Some vets even recommend that you put the dog down if very bad to put it out of it's misery. I hope it is plain allergy. You could try methotrexate to calm down the immune system as well as cortisone.

Reply to Cestsibon
Posted by: Chill | 2009-01-09

Udder cream is actually lanolin, which is a natural product made from sheeps wool. It may well help to soothe the skin, but I would first put some lanolin onto a small patch, just in case it triggers some reaction.

You can buy lanolin in a tube at the chemist - the udder cream you refer to is probably available in larger containers and would work out more economical if you decide to use it long-term. I would bet against that, though, because you' ll find it' s pretty greasy, will rub off on your walls/furniture/hands, and will also retain grit and seeds and things the dog may roll in. But give it a go... you never know.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Jacques | 2009-01-09

Thanks for the prompt reply. We are already using EFAZOL as well as olive-oil, but to no avail. Currently dosing 1 x programme large dog monthly &  Advantage or Advantix monthly. problem is that in summer the dog swims in the pool almost daily as well as a weekly swim in the sea. The exzema has been a problem since mid-winter before he started swimming in the pool / sea again, so I don' t think it' s related to the sea / pool water / pool chemicals. Do you think it' s worth trying the " Udder Cream" ...? If so, which product is best or what active ingredient should I look for? I note that most have lanelin &  vitamin E... thanks for the help...

Reply to Jacques