Question
Posted by: Shazza | 2008/09/15

Dog escaping/running!!

Hi there :)
I recently adopted a male daschund +-3years old from the shelter.
He is absolutely loving and dotes over me all day long! But the second a door gets opened, he gaps it and runs away!! Almost impossible to catch, but comes home in half an hour or so!! When I take all the dogs for a walk (jack russel& daschund) I let them free and they trot along with me, if I let him free he runs away! But if I keep him on the leash he goes mad cos all the other doggies are off! What can I do to end this habit? What way can I go about to fix this?

Dear Shazza

Starve him for a day, go for a walk with a piece of cheese in your hand and magic, he will walk right beside you. This will be the start of your success story.