Question
Posted by: marc moon | 2011-07-26

dog eats POO!

my little jack russle X foxy X something else... likes eating poop... any idea why she would do that?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Marc, As revolting as we humans may find the behaviour of consuming faeces, and as terrible as it can make our dogs breathe smell, to a dog this is simply normal instinctive behaviour. We need to bear in mind that a dog is essentially a scavenger, and will take advantage of virtually any food sources it can find, although not all dogs consume faeces, or on a regular basis. Many wild animals engage in this behaviour, especially when food resources may be scarce. The faeces may then become a source of missing nutrients and proteins which can help it to sustain life. There is a term which is used for this behaviour which is Coprophagia – sounds better than eating poo! Many pups engage in this behaviour and more often than not grow out of the habit.
All dogs engaging in this behaviour should first and foremost be examined by your local vet to ascertain that there are no medical reasons for the behaviour.
Thks Scotty

4
Posted by: Jo | 2011-08-04

I have the same problem with my dog eating bird faecies, I was told to try putting a tablespoon of plain Yoghurt with the food everyday and this should stop the behaviour after a few weeks. Cant hurt to try it.

Reply to Jo
Posted by: Shnoodle | 2011-07-29

My dog also did it as a puppy and it totally grossed me out, but he grew out of it thank goodness!

Reply to Shnoodle
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011-07-27

Thks Scotty

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert
Posted by: Kasandra | 2011-07-26

my staffy also loves the cat poo.

Reply to Kasandra