Question
Posted by: Paul | 2008/08/28

Dog eating grass

I have a Great Dane and feed him a balanced premium dog food. Occasionally he will " graze"  like a horse. Could it be the food?

Dear Paul

Some research suggests that they just like the taste of grass certain times of year when the grass is young and green. They often then eat to much and vomit the bulk out. This is the story that makes the most sense to me. Some dogs if not feeling well may also eat grass and then vomit but you will probably hear lost of nonsense about grass eating a swell. Every breeder is worth ignoring when it comes to topics like this, they just bore you to death.

4
Posted by: k_m | 2008/09/04

I also have noticed with my one but I think it is nature' s way of cleaning their tummy.

Reply to k_m
Posted by: WR | 2008/08/28

Jip, I' ve also got some ' cattle'  here.... seems to be worse when the seasons change...

Reply to WR
Posted by: Chill | 2008/08/28

I' ve had ' grazing'  dogs too - they just seem to like it! Don' t worry about it, just keep insecticides and snail bait well away from the grass.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Nic | 2008/08/28

Hi Paul,

My cats and dogs also " graze"  - they do it to aid their digestion - and they are on premium pet food! Nothing to worry about. Maybe get him to do the rest of the lawn...

Reply to Nic