Posted by: virgil | 2010-02-25

Dog dig u my grass

how can i stop my German Shehard from Digging up my grass .

Dear Virgil

More walks and toys

Posted by: steph | 2010-02-26

he needs to go out everyday for a run. the idea of the digging friendly zone is a good one. i did the same thing wih my dog, and combined this with more exercise and it worked a treat !

Reply to steph
Posted by: K | 2010-02-26

GSD''s can apparently hear a grass hopper chew.... makes you wonder what they hear in the grass. So many fantastic creatures for them to find, its no wonder he''s digging up your grass. Also, dogs dig for a variety of reasons - boredom, to create an area to cool down, because its their inherent nature to dig (safety / security in a hole) etc. Have you tried a sandpit specifically for him? Create an area where it is acceptable for him to dig (half in sun / half shadow would be perfect), sprinkle sterilised bonemeal in the pit (makes it smell more appealing), hide his toys in the sandpit, and show him he can dig there. Then create " no-dig"  zones in your garden, using pet repellents or containment fences until he gets out of the pulling up grass habit. Make sure he has loads of toys (you can also get him a toy box that he can choose his own toys from), stuff Kongs with peanut butter to keep him entertained or get activity balls that you stuff treats into and roll (when they roll they release their treats). You can also get Nina Otterson toys - intelligent toys for intelligent dogs. Keep him stimulated may reduce the digging habit.

have a look online at A Pet''s Life for more ....

Reply to K
Posted by: Virgil | 2010-02-26

yes i do , we go for a walk or jog at least 3 times a week .

Reply to Virgil
Posted by: steph | 2010-02-26

the dog is probably bored, are you walking him?

Reply to steph