Posted by: dbk | 2009-04-14

Dog climbing walls

I have two male labradorXrottweillers. I have learned that one of them is climbing the walls. We live in a secure complex and I' m sure you can understand the problem with this. I' ve seen him do this before in the front of the yard on a lower wall and put a gate up there to keep them from getting to that wall.

Now, he is climbing the taller walls. I can' t make any structural changes to the walls and believe me when I say this is a huge garden.

Only the one wall (ironically the highest one) is now a problem.

He hasn' t been able to actually climb over, but I' m scared that the day will come when he gets a proper grip and actually get over.

He also only (as far as I can see) does this when the garden services are on the property behind us or any other threat. Is there anything I can do?

Dear dbk

Petsafe make a electric system to put around the property borders. Have a look on the website.

Posted by: Dave | 2009-04-15

The stick under the chin is an old trick that works well. It stopped my Boxer from scaling my 1.5m vibracrete wall. Boxers love to jump + love to clear fences + walls in order to get out. Mine doesn' t do that anymore.

Reply to Dave
Posted by: Big dog lover | 2009-04-15

Hi there dbk, I take it that he has to jump in order to get his front paws up onto the top of the wall so that the can then pull himself over. A friend' s Collie used 2 do the same + this is what cured him. Cut about a 1/2 met. length if thick wooden dowell - broom stick is excellent. At exactly 1/2 the length drill a hole through it so that U can put a piece of nylon string through it + tie it onto his collar so that it hangs evenly in a horisontal position just under his chin. The string must be just too short 4 him 2 b able to bite it through. When a dog jumps he throws his front paws + legs upward. His front legs then knock the stick also in an upward direction + it hits him under the jaw. He' ll soon get tired of being hit there everytime he jumps. Within a week it cured my friend' s Collie. Once U remove the stick he won' t jump again.

Reply to Big dog lover