Question
Posted by: GBB | 2011/04/25

Dog chews everything

I have a 1 year old rotty bitch who chews everything in sight, plants in the garden included. She spends a lot of time indoors with us when we are home, which is a lot, and sleeps inside as well. We buy chew toys but she cant get enough of things to chew.
How do I stop her?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi GBB, nice to hear from you.
Firstly you need to make sure she is receiving enough physical and mental stimulation by way of exercise and human contact. Dogs normally engage in this behaviour when they are bored and frustrated. Chewing actually helps a dog to destress.
Secondly if you are paying attention to the behaviour and reprimanding her in any way, she will interpret this as attention - attention to a dog is attention, whether negative or positive!
Thirdly, spray all illegal items, such as chair legs, pot plants etc, with pure Citronella oil which you can get from Dischem or a health shop. The majority of dogs hate the smell of Citronella.
Fourthly, make sure you leave really interesting toys for the dogs, not balls and ropes but rather nice chewy rawhides, hooves stuffed with a bit of biltong etc. If you have a look at the friendsofthedog website, you will find an article called Toys. I think it is under the Puppy section.
Good luck and do let me know how you go, thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/04/26

Hi GBB, nice to hear from you.

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert