Question
Posted by: Bee | 2008/09/03

Dog chewing shoes!

We haven' t had this problem in the last 6 months - until last night. We put our Maltese out of the bedroom for about 30 minutes last night and when we found her in the lounge, she had chewed through a few of our shoes which she got hold of in the other bedroom. She sleeps with us in bed every night and is usually not happy to be put out of the bedroom but its never for too long - why would she misbehave in this way. She has enough chewy toys and a cow' s hoof to chew on so its not like she doesn' t chew enough....???

Dear Bee

I think you have a hierachy problem as the dog is sleeping with you on the bed. She probably thinks she rules. Best to change that and let both of you be the boss to her. I would downgrade her to at least floor level at night. Try a DAP diffuser (vets/vetshops) to help through this time. Dont leave her on her own all day?

1
Posted by: Karen | 2008/09/04

Dogs like to chew shoes. Maybe its because they smell so strongly of the owner, or they just feel good. The easiest solution is to not leave your shoes where the dog can get to them.

Reply to Karen