Question
Posted by: Hagar | 2011/11/08

Dog chewing

I have a Labrador that is about a year and a half old. We cannot pay attention to her ALL the time as both me and my wife work.

She likes to chew on EVERYTHING and has cost us a few rands already. I recently put up a beam and I found a paw mark on the beam this morning. Is there something I can spray on things that can keep the bitch off?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Hagar, there are products such as Dog Off, Citronella etc that can be used but what i would suggest is that you get to the route of the problem i.e. why is this behaviour happening and secondly what can you do to prevent it.
If the dog is only being destructive when you are out, that is a sign of seperation anxiety and you need to get expert help in as soon as possible.
This behaviour, in addition to being stress related can be caused due to boredom and frustration. Increase her walks and keep her stimulated by leaving varied chew toys to give her something else to think about. Unfortunately i dont have an article on Chew Toys on this site, but you can read two articles on my www.friendsofthedog.co.za site on Toys and 50 Ways with a Kong which may help. In the event that you do need professional help, please look at www.animal-behaviour.org.za for an accredited behaviourist. Thanks and good luck,. Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/11/09

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert