Question
Posted by: Lexy | 2010-03-18

Dog chasing cats

How can i stop our dog, cross Alsation/Rotweiler from chasing our cats?

Dear Lexy

Either to blindfold him or chain him to a lamp post.

2
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010-03-22

Dear Lexy

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2010-03-18

Hi Lexy

I too have a GSD whio is chasing my cats! I have got a pheromone collar on him (he''s the first one our vet has treated with this) - doesn''t work. Scolding and smacking with a newspaper, no joy. Speaking sternly, ditto. I ipromised my sister 3 that I would look after him and a border collie cross three and a half years ago and it seems to be getting worse. I had him on Nutricalm and seeng that a lot of my cats are in their dotage I have had no choice but to put him on Alzam (vet suggested this and slowly decrease the dosage). He is 9 years old and not a youngster and she also had cats, one of whom rules the lounge and he " eats"  her too and sometimes hurts her. My husband sits at night watching sport on TV with him on a lead and when he comes to bed he chases some of the cats and they get underneath the bed until we decide to go to sleep. During the day he is quite normal and doesn''t chase any of the cats but come 7.30pm its as if his brain gets switched on and then the chasing starts. So you are not alone! He has been to training and is otherwise a lovely dog and I shall just have to persevere with him. Am dying to know if anybody else has any suggestions especially Cybervet.

Good luck.

Reply to Cat Lady