Question
Posted by: Kathy | 2011/02/03

dog brings bear from my bed to his box

He brings the bear from our bed to his box when my husband goes out or sits next to me, why is this?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Kathy, what a lovely picture this presents! You should train him to bring the paper etc to you as well as he obviously has retriever instincts.

Dogs always repeat behaviour that is rewarding, so I would imagine that you have praised him in the past for bringing the teddy and he is just repeating the behaviour.

This also applies to negative attention i.e. shouting at the dog, to a dog attention is attention whether negative or positive.

Also you may find that when your hubby is out he gets more attention from you and to cuddle up next to you is rewarding.

My own dog does the same thing (a Collie) and I really dont think it is because he is protecting me, rather taking advantage of getting some extra love. Hope this helps, have a great day, Scotty

6
Posted by: Kathy | 2011/02/06

Hi Scotty..thanks for the advice.Another interesting thing...whenever I show my husband any sign of affection like a hug or a kiss, the dog,Max (who is actually my husband''s dog and quite devoted to him) comes immediately and jumps up against us. Altho his tail is wagging and we joke about it, I think he is jealous of me. What do you think? We have had a lot of dogs but he really is quite unusual!

Reply to Kathy
Posted by: Sandy | 2011/02/04

My dog he eats insects. Why? Is it harmful to his system?

Reply to Sandy
Posted by: Scotty | 2011/02/04

Hi Kathy, forgot to mention, the dog is probably doing this as he feels a bit insecure when your hubby goes out, so the more you act as the ''pack leader'' the more the dog will relax. Thks Scotty

Reply to Scotty
Posted by: scotty | 2011/02/04

Hi Kathy, as pack leader all items in the house should be ''owned'' by you and it should be you who says whether or not his behaviour towards the other dog is acceptable. Firstly i would suggest that you bring in the Swap exercise so that you start to control the ownership of the possessions. This is very easy to do - start with items that dont hold a lot of value to the dog, such as two pull ropes. Have a game with him, pulling on the rope and just as he is really getting interested, say ''Swap'' and show him the other pull rope. As he lets go the one in his mouth, say ''Swap'', give him the other pull rope, play a bit and repeat, gradually working up to being able to swap the favourite toy.If the dog is not interested in other toys, then use a favourite piece of food instead. When the dog has an object in his mouth, wave the favourite treat in front of his nose and say Swap. As he drops the toy to get the treat, pick it up and as he finished the treat, immediately give it back to him. Practise this over and over and it will place you higher in the pack hierarchy and make it easy to get things out his mouth. When you feel he is ready, then do this with the favourite toy as well.
When he is reactive to the other dog and he has the toy in his mouth, you need to step in and stop the behaviour. Immeditely go to him, say ''uhuh'' in the loudest possible voice and take the toy away. As he is quiet, give him the toy back again and again if he is reactive to the other dog, repeat the process. An other alternative is to take the toy away completely. Poodles are extremely clever dogs and you should teach him some tricks. There are a lot of books on the market that will help you with this. Let me know how it goes. thanks Scotty

Reply to scotty
Posted by: Kathy | 2011/02/03

He is a French poodle! and very possesive about the bear..protects it aggressively from the other dog.He just looks at me when he has it..doesn''t try to cuddle and I ignore him so I can''t understand why he always does it ?

Reply to Kathy
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/02/03

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert