Posted by: Wills | 2009-05-13

Dog blankets

Hi, how can I stop my boerboel (6 months) and jack Russell (2 years) from constantly pulling their blankets out of their kennel? They share a big wooden kennel (the largest there is) but we have to put their blankets back about 3 times a day! They attention and have a lot of chew toys and bones to chew on.

Dear Wills

Posted by: CC | 2009-05-15

Nail a corner of the blanket to the kennel floor away from the door so they they can not take to out. Worked my my dog.

Reply to CC
Posted by: Tracy | 2009-05-14

have you tried a pet futon bed (many come with replaceable covers so you can wash/dry one cover and have a new one on the cushion in the meantime) or petbedding ' blankets'  with a PVC base or even a pet mat? You can do further research on online pet shops for more info on these possible solutions

Reply to Tracy
Posted by: Chill | 2009-05-14

I' ve also tried the foam story, and it does work but the problem is, they track wetness in when it rains, and it becomes damp and sometimes even waterlogged, so they can end up worse off.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Wills | 2009-05-14

Thanks guys, I will try all of the above! I think I will start with the carpet and take it from there as winter is fast approaching!

Reply to Wills

My dogs always ripped those gray blankets apart. I decided to get one of those expensive silky blankets for him (and watched like a hawk so he wouldn' t destroy it) I needn' t have bothered. He didn' t even try to rip it up. Its like he decided that he liked it too much to destroy it.

Posted by: steph | 2009-05-13

I haven' t really had this problem with my dogs but my brother has a beagle and he' s naughty as hell ! So what my brother has done is that he' s gotten a piece of foam mattress cut to size ( i think he may have folded an old garden chair cushion in half actually) and his wife made a pillow slip shaped cover out of his blanket and put it on the cushion. it fits flush with the kennel walls...the dog is now warm and toasty. but perhaps your dogs also need some attention...they sound a bit bored?

Reply to steph
Posted by: Chill | 2009-05-13

One of my dogs likes doing this too. At first, I made sure she still has something warm to lie on by getting a few heavy-duty carpet tiles (a piece of carpeting would also work) - they lie flat and normally stay put.

Also, you could stand a narrow plank, say 10 or 15 cm high, across the kennel entrance, to make a ' drumpel'  they' d struggle to get the blankets over. Obviously, you' d make sure they can still get in and out freely.

Reply to Chill