Question
Posted by: Mandi | 2011/05/26

Dog bitten by rat

Good morning,

My JR was bitten by a rat this morning. Her shots are up to date (November last year) and the last shot included the rabies shot.

It''s just a small puncture wound, so the wound itself does not need medical attention.

Should I take her for a booster rabies shot or something after the bite this morning or is the Nov inoculation enough?

Hello Mandi,

As far as I am aware there have been no reports of rabies in rat populations in South Africa. Rats do transmit transmissible diseases but these are generally transmitted through the rat’s urine.

Although the rat bite does not need medical attention I would still suggest that you be responsible and visit your vet for further advice. The vet might put you on a prophylactic dose of antibiotics to prevent a possible bacterial infection arising.

Dr Campbell

3
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011/05/27

Hello Mandi,

Dr Campbell

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Chill | 2011/05/26

I agree with Jane - you should be ok as far as rabies is concerned.

A puncture wound is actually the worst because the smaller the wound the faster it closes up, trapping any possible infection inside. Your vet will probably want to give the dog an antibiotic to prevent trouble.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Jane | 2011/05/26

Your JR should be protected as his shots are up to date. Give your Vet a call and chat with him/her. Also, even if small puncture wound - watch for bacteria infection - bite wounds no matter how small, are the worst for bacteria spreading.

Reply to Jane