Posted by: Stashi | 2010-10-22

Dog Bites

Hi There
Not sure where else to post this, because we are desperate!
What are our rights when it comes to dog bites?
My Mom and Sausage Dog were attacked by 3 dogs last Wednesday, the run into the road where My Mom was walking at bight them both quite severely!
My Mom has a chunk missing out of her arm and a bite on her hand, and the Sausage dog has 2 large bites that had to be stitched!
The worst past is the woman, didn''t even bother to call the dogs off or help, she got out of her car, saw what was happening and went into the house!
She left the dogs biting My Mom, eventually the Gardener hit the dogs with a Knobkerrie and they left her!
She is hurt and Traumatised!
They went to a lawyer this morning and she basically told them " She doesn''t hold much hope"  Unless they are prepared to spend Huge amounts of cash!
What are their rights and what steps could they take?

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

re: Dog Bites

It is suggested that you first go to the police and lay a charge. Thereafter you can go to the Small Claims Court if you have all your medical bills and I would suggest that you get a psychologist to intervene as well.

Posted by: jenni | 2010-10-27

Good grief, the previous reader''s reply astonishes me! Reader, you are missing the point here, this lady and her dog were in the street - a public place. I''m a dog lover and, as a responsible owner, my dogs are a) well socialised so would never attack anyone anyway and b) kept safely within my premises.
Secondly, who says the gardener was emlployed by the victim anyway? And does this mean " rich people"  shouldn''t object to being bitten? Should the gardener have joined the dog owner and just looked on? Crikey.
Personally I am fed up with irresponsible owners who let their dogs breed, bark, roam and bite with impunity. People need to start being responsible and accountable to the society they live in. For the sake of the people and animals around us.

Reply to jenni
Posted by: ? | 2010-10-26

if you can afford a gardener in this economic climate, u must have large amounts of what is the problem? also this is a labour lawyer site and you have already seen a lawyer......i think you should stick with your original legal advisor unless your nieghbour is sueing the gardener,under your employ, for hitting her dogs- then you may need a labour lawyer to defend his actions............sometimes u just need to move on but i am sorry for your mothers pain and of course the sausage dog

Reply to ?