Posted by: Horsiechic | 2011-04-12

dog bite on horse leg

Hey Cyber vet,
Hope you can help. I have a mare who was bitten by a dog on her lower hind leg on 25 March, had the vet out she gave her an antibiotic and bute. Am just a little concerned - the wound is healing but the leg is still very swollen.
The mare is not lame and she is putting all her weight on the leg. On sunday I wanted to have a little walk around (bareback) on her she had a bit of a shake when I sat on her back - guess that''s cos of the swelling right?
Have you got any suggestions on how to get that to come down?

Hi horsiechic,

At this stage I think it may be advisable to get your vet to revisit and inspect the leg as the swelling in the limb should have dissipated by now.

Given the nature of dog bites I suspect that this might be a mild case of cellulites (skin infection) / lymphangitis (infection of the lymph vessels). If this is the case then I would probably prescribe an additional coarse of broad spectrum antibiotics and anti-inflammatory’s.
You should also consider massaging the limb, cold hosing, bandage with poultice and restricted exercise.

Dr Campbell

Posted by: Chill | 2011-04-14

I was hoping some horse-person would respond to you but it doesn''t seem this is going to happen, so here''s my not-very-well-informed tuppence-worth: If the swelling hasn''t gone down, I would be seeking veterinary help again before riding or exercising the horse. The ''bit of a shake'' would also bother me. You don''t want to end up with an infection in there, specially if the wound has healed, because then it can''t drain. You also don''t want a chronic inflammation. There are various possibilities for treatment, but I have no idea which would apply: these would include cold water, poultices, bandages, rest, gentle exercise, more antibiotics, anti-inflammatories. I wouldn''t mess around - rather be safe than sorry, there is, I''m sure, no need to tell you how far-reaching the consequences of the wrong treatment could be.

Reply to Chill