Question
Posted by: Kate | 2008/08/29

Dog Bite

I dropped in to visit my neighbour a few days ago and let her dog smell my hand, which he proceeded to snap at. Did not break the skin but the teeth marks are quiet clear and now my hand is very bruised and sore.

Her reaction was oh well look at what he did to me - she had a punture wound on her leg where he bit her.

My question is do I report this bite and if so to whom?
You see she emigrated today and has left the dog behind with her folks who are quiet elderly and I think they will not be able to control him, and if he becomes a problem I think perhaps if the bite is on record it will prove a pattern.

Very hard decision because it might end up a case of life or death for him.

Dear Kate

Kindly inform them of the bite and what they do with that info is up to them. We should all be socially responsable but to interfere is crossing that line.

1
Posted by: Chill | 2008/08/29

That IS a hard decision, because if nothing is done, it could end up even worse for the new ' owners' .

Why don' t you go and talk to them about it?

It is completely unacceptable for a dog to bite its owner - period. No excuses. Either the dog has a problem - which can happen, and it' s dangerous! - or it thinks it' s the boss, in which case an expert is needed to provide advice on how to rid him of that notion.

I wouldn' t keep quiet about it, but talk to the new owners - if they' re halfway reasonable people, they will appreciate your concern.

Reply to Chill