Question
Posted by: Lin | 2008/09/30

Dog bit son - nightmares

My son (nearly 3 years old) was bitten by my mother in law' s dog last week Wednesday. He knew the dog since birth. We visit there often. The dog just suddenly turned aggressive.
Luckily there wasn' t great damage done to his foot and it already looks alot better.
Since then my little boy' s having terrible nightmares and speaks about the dog biting him the whole time. He' s battling to get over it and he doesn' t even trust his own dogs. He wont let them come near him.
How do I help him get over this trauma?

Hope you have a great day!
Lin

At any age, but especially when so young, this would be an upsetting experience. Often it settles after a coule of weeks, but sometimes it might lead to a more enduring fear of dogs, which would be unfortunately limiting in life. Wait a little longer to see if these concerns are lasting, and if so, a child psychologist could help relatively easily to plan a program to free him from these fears. Meanwhile, lots of hugs and love, and re-assurance that most dogs don't do that, and that he will be allright, will help.
Let us know how he progresses from here