Question
Posted by: Candice | 2008/08/19

DOG BEHAVIOUR " PROBLEMS" 

Good Day

I have a 2 year old dog crossed between a Min Pin and a Yorkie. She is very intelligent. We also have a slightly larger dog, 5 years old, crossed between a Maltese and Corgi. They are a great pleasure to me and hubby.

The youngest, which we got through the Junkmail when she was about 1 month old, has some behavioural problems that drives us crazy sometimes. I have to admit that the people we bought her from lived in a caravan with 10 other dogs.

First of all, when it is feeding time, especially tinned dog meat, she eats like there’ s no tomorrow! She hardly chews soft food, swallows it down very quickly. Like a vacuum cleaner! When her bowl is empty, she goes to where her “ sister”  is still busy eating and try to finish her food as well!! How can I teach her not to do this?

Secondly, I sometimes buy them these cattle skin toy chewing rings. She always thinks her “ sister’ s”  one is better and tastier, and she wants that one, even if they are still new and the same size! She’ ll bark at her “ sis”  until she gets her way! What can I do about this?

Thirdly, she always wants to be the centre of attention. She has endless energy and always chews on my hands and try to lick my face and lips when she hears the word “ lekker”  or “ kossies”  (we are Afrikaans). When I try to ignore her when I’ m not in the mood to play, she pulls on my hand or duvet, or she’ ll look me in the face and bark and moan at me in a funny tone which I find especially cute! Why does she do this? She also barks and moans at us when we are eating and they have to stay on the floor on their bed. Why doe she do this? They sleep with us on our bed most of the time.

Kind Regards,
Candice

Dear Candice

First. Feed dry food, seperate then to eliminate the competition element and twice daily.

Second: Normal dog behaviour, third answer may be applicable as well.

Third: Don'tblame the poor people in the caravan, you have tought her this behaviour. You allow her to be the centre of attention. She can see that you think she is very cute making noises and looking for attention. This will reinforce and make this behaviour a learned response. Dog sleeping with owner is a give away. She was probably a lot more normal and knew her place.

2
Posted by: Karen | 2008/08/20

She does it because
a) you let her
b) you find it especially cute.

If you really want to stop her demanding your attention just get up and walk away when she does it.

Stealing from her sister can be stopped by feeding and treating her in a different room.

The reason she demands to be on the bed is because you are being inconsistant. You can' t let her on sometimes and not others the rule has to be the same all the time.

Reply to Karen
Posted by: Chill | 2008/08/19

Simple. She reckons she' s the boss, and so everything - including you! - belongs to her, and everyone must do what she wants.

There are remedies for this, but I' m not sure if you want to go there - fortunately if a small dog is this dominant or manipulative, it' s not nearly as much of a problem as it would be if she was a ridgeback or a mastiff!

Do an archive search on ' dominance' , or similar words - this has been discussed often on this forum. (in fact, if you do an archive search on ' ignore' , you may get lucky too!)

Reply to Chill