Question
Posted by: Woolfie | 2008/08/27

Dog becoming aggressive

Hi there,

I have three dogs...two bull terriers and labrador. One bull terrier is a female and the labby is female as well. They were purchased at the same time. and grew up together. The male bull terrier came a while later.
Just recently the male bull terrier has been showing alot of aggression towards the labby and ocassionaly to the female bull terrier. The fighting has been getting worse and I' m on the brink of giving the male bull terrier away.

Can you tell me why he is doing this? and also is there a anyway we can calm him down?

Dear Woolfie

The BT is trying to fight the lab for the top position in the hierachy. Works bets if you support the top dog in everything. This shows the other dogs that you accept the top dog in his position and eliminate the need for the bt to fight and force himself in this position. So feed the top dog first, attention first. If the other dogs challenge the top dog in his position tell them off, not the one standing his ground in his top position. A DAP diffuser may work to reduce tress in the house. So you have to decide who is top dog (poss the BT) and support him as discussed.

Hope this helps.

3
Posted by: Chill | 2008/08/27

And best of luck - if that bull terrier does decide to get serious, I doubt the lab will stand much chance of survival.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2008/08/27

And spay the girls .. bully girls often dont like other girls.

Reply to Carol
Posted by: WR | 2008/08/27

Ye and a little neutering goes along way - if he is not to be used for breeding.

Reply to WR