Question
Posted by: Mel | 2012/09/14

Dog Barking &  Marking

I have a pekingese which will stand at our gate and constantly bark. there is no one there and no one walking around, but she will still bark. We have tried to discipline her, reward her when she comes in when we call her when she barks, but it still carries on. Is there anything we can do?
I have 4 other dogs who constantly urinate in the house. They range from 14 years old to 3 years old. Two are female and two are male. We''ve just recently moved into a new house. We had the same problem at our old house. This causes a lot of embarassment as the house starts smelling and we constantly have to wash the carpets. Is there anything that can be done to stop them from doing this? The area is very large, so to buy the spray to stop them becomes very costly.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Mel, where the Peke is concerned it sounds like there is stress and frustration involved and every time you smack, shout etc, you are inadvertently reinforcing the behaviour. Firstly, I would suggest you use management and keep her away from the gate to break the habit and at the same time teach her to bard on cue, but work inside the house at first. I am putting a link to an article here for you, at the end.
Is she getting enough mental and physical stimulation by way of regular walks and chew toys etc? If not, this would contribute to the barking.

Where the other dogs are concerned what you need to do first is to clean the whole are with a mixture of 2/3 water to 1/3 white vinegar. Really allow it to soak in (careful, check carpers first that they dont damage)and sponge it up several times with paper towels. After that put down some drops of pure citronella oil in areas that have been soiled.
You will also have to start toilet training again and not allow dogs access to the house unsupervised while training is happening. I have also put in a link to a toilet training article at the bottom.
Your 14 year old may have a physical problem with elimination given the age, and it would be worth your while to watch how often the dog does eliminate and if it seems too frequent have a word with your vet. Thks S
http://www.friendsofthedog.co.za/house-training-your-puppy.html
http://www.friendsofthedog.co.za/barking-excessive-barking.html

7
Posted by: Chris | 2012/11/18

Greetings, My 3.5yr old Yorkshire Terrier (Tiger) recently made a wee next to my bed for the first time &  then again three days later. Tiger lives in a duplex house &  he has always done his business on a newspaper close to the kitchen downstairs that is replaced every day. Tiger’ s food &  water is upstairs close to my room &  he sleeps by me on the bed at night. I thought maybe he could be too lazy to do it downstairs but I doubt it. He is on the same diet (Royal Canin, Yorkshire Terrier 28 –  Adult) since the beginning. We play regularly &  I’ m home most of the time except every 2nd day from 9am-3pm. He has his favourite toys and from time to time nibbles on the leg of the couch which I’ m not bothered about. Please what can I do to rectify his recent wee behaviour?

Reply to Chris
Posted by: noeline | 2012/10/18

Read the Dog Listener by Jan Fennel about Amician Theory and it will solve many of your problems!

Reply to noeline
Posted by: Gail | 2012/10/18

I think it is very important to realise that marking by an animal is a way of communicating to anyone else that this is their territory. You also need to remember that if that puppy now dog was born in an outside enclosure with grass and ground that is imprinted from day one. If it was born in a cemented/tiled area and paper put down for it which was removed it then assumes when it goes to a new home where there may be other dogs that marking inside is fine as the surface is the same and it is cleaned regularly. I have been told that one must spray them with citronella oil in water nut they must be caught in the act. I have tried this as well as spraying the area marked after cleaning to no avail. I have tried shake and vac - no ammonia, baby powder worked seemingly because no amonia for about a week. Now I am going to try a combination of paprika, mustard powder and flour given to me by a pet parlour and wash my floor tiles with soap stuff recommended by my dog groomer.

Reply to Gail
Posted by: Gail | 2012/10/18

Reply to Gail | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Charmaine | 2013/07/22

Hi Gail, I use a product called Probac - 'green' cleaning which works brilliantly on puppy piddle, there's absolutely no odour problem. I don't have contact details but I'm sure it'll come up on Google.

Posted by: Alicia Myburgh | 2012/10/17

Dear Helper,
I saved Gravel, a Cross Border collie 4 1/2 years ago. It took a lot of patience and love to get him to become a dog again. I love him dearly. 3 months ago new neighbours moved in. They have three dogs of whom 2 are males.
They have a miniture Doberman, who comes into our house, and this, I think is the problem. Gravel now marks with squirts his territory against chairs, ottomons, even the wall. It drives my husband up the wall. He shouts at him, and I cry.
I wash the places, whenever and wherever I find it....oh what is strange, is that he does this in front of us. No idea that it is wrong.
What am I to do to help my beautiful, beloved companion?

Warm regards,

Alicia.

Reply to Alicia Myburgh
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2012/09/18

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert