Question
Posted by: Marie vd Walt | 2012/07/02

Dog and depression

My dog maltese poodle lost his friend. He doesnt want to eat and is just lying around and want me to carry him around. Could he has depression?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Marie, most certainly and I really am sorry about your loss. What I would suggest is that you get him out as much as you can for walks, even a few short one's during the day and engage him in activities he enjoys such as playing ball etc. dont pay more attention to him than normal or that will make the situation worse.
I would also suggest you phone your vet and tell him what has happened and perhaps consider putting him on medication to help for a period of time. TTouch is wonderful to help with situations like this, let me know where you stay and I will put you in touch with somebody. You can get me at scotty@scottysdogs.co.za Take care, S

5
Posted by: Patrick | 2012/07/04

Be careful not to allow the ''depression'' reaction to mask what may be symptoms of serious illness-
one of the most dangerous diseases-which also sees dogs stop eating and be lethargic-is biliary (tick-bite fever)

Check your dog for pale gums and inner eyes, check its urine for off-colour (very yellow or orange) -best is probably to see a vet who will do a blood-check/test.

Reply to Patrick
Posted by: Noleen | 2012/07/04

My heart bleeds for the poor creature. My advice is go get yourself a puppy...... it will bring new life into your home and into the pining dog. Just remember, though, to give the " old"  dog as much, or even more, attention that the new addition. Let us know how all this advice pans out.

Reply to Noleen
Posted by: Tanya | 2012/07/02

Just read back and you dont mention if his friend was animal or human!! Getting a new human friend wont be so easy...LOL!!

Reply to Tanya
Posted by: Tanya | 2012/07/02

Yes, he could be depressed. In animal terms its referred to as " pining"  (pron. pine-ing).
Give him as much attention and petting as you have time to do, and add something special to his normal food, e.g. chicken to entice him to eat.
As time passes slowly get back to his normal routine. Be patient with him it may take a while.
Of course, the best thing you could do if possible is to get him another friend, maybe not now but one day soon.

Reply to Tanya
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2012/07/02

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert