Posted by: Jay | 2009-04-04

Dog allergy NEW after giving up smoking

Hi Doc,
My husband &  I successfully gave up smoking about 18 months ago - yay! , but after about 6 months he developed, and continues to battle with, what we think is an allergy to our dog.
It is usually a seriously runny, itchy, blocked nose but sometimes causes asthma type symptoms which are sometimes bad enough to wake him up stressing to breath. These have now started to kick in whenever there' s an aircon around (like in his work office - grr).
I' ve Googled for anything similar but had no luck. Is it common for allergies to appear after giving up smoking? (he was a pack-a-day smoker for about 20 years). Very frustrating.
Many thanks

It is very possible to develop allergies after giving up smoking, as the cigarette smoke suppresses the immune system. I suggest that he has an allergy test done to identify to what exactly he is allergic to. In the interim he can use Lorano tablets and Flixonase nasal spray. These medication is available over the counter.