Posted by: cat | 2009-07-25

Does size mean anything?

Hi. The day before my IUI (CD 14) my lining was 7.2mm and I had two follicles, 1x 21mm and 1 x 22mm. I had an injection to stimulate ovulation and did the IUI the next day. I was wondering if this is a good, text book example of a high chance of success or if I am still looking at only 10% chance. Do all follicles this sizr produce fertile eggs? I am 2 days in and am experiencing period like pains and have just had a white (paper white) discharge. Is this a healthy sign or should I worry?

Dear Cat

The endometrial thickness (lining) is sub-optimal for the size of the follicles. However apart from this it appears that the necessary intervention measures taken are appropriate and therefore your chances of conception should be reasonably good (between 15%-20%). I assume that all other factors are normal such as tubal patency and sperm parameters. The lining is somewhat thinner than one would expect for the follicle sizes but this is frequently noted in patients using Clomiphene Citrate (Clomid, Fertomid, Serophene, etc.).

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim