Posted by: Wondering1 | 2009-07-09

Does she need help?

A good friend of mine (25 y/o female) seems to be severely depressed. She has never seemed to hold down a job for more than 3 months before quitting (I think she has intermittently had 5 different jobs in the last 3 years and now her own business for the last 3/4months - which she has decided to " put on hold" ). I don' t think she has had a relationship for more than 3-4 weeks without ending it herself - about 4 or 5 in the last 4 years. She has mentioned a " sadness"  and on an occasion, suicidal thoughts. She seldom answers her phone and she doesn' t share much about her situation with us, but I know she regularly spends her days alone at home seldom doing ' work' . However, when we do see her at a party etc., she is unusually extrovert and full of fun and humour - I' m worried that this is merely a facade.
Should I be worried about her? Should I try get her to see someone?
Your response is appreciated.

It surely sounds as though she could benefit from some help, though that help is not likely to be helpful unless she herself recognizes that need and is prepared to work sincerely with a shrink. It would be worth trying to persuade her to see a good local shrink for a proper assessment and advice. Contrary to what some people might think, we shrinks are busy enough not to try to snare well people into treatment they don't need, so the advice she gets ought to be expert and sincere

Posted by: Wondering1 | 2009-07-10

Thank you for your reply. I' ll see if I can mention someting to her.

Reply to Wondering1