Posted by: Nicky | 2011-02-28

Does Purbac interfere with Nordette

I''ve been prescribed Purbac(antibiotic) by my doctor for a bladder condition and she has put me on the long term treatment (6 months +). I''m on Nordette (Birth Control) and I just wanted to know if the Purbac will have an effect on the effectiveness of the Birtch Control. In other words will the Nordette become void? Or is it safe to take both at the same time?

This is a tricky question. It is thought that with longterm antibiotic use the risk of intereference with the Pill lessens. The recommendation is as follows :
Antibiotic courses exceeding 2 weeks allow gut bacteria to develop antibiotic resistance. Extra contraception precautions need to be continued
only for the first 2 weeks and an additional 7 days (3 weeks in total) with elimination of the next pill-free interval. Should the first 2 weeks of antibiotic use extend into the last 7 days of the pack, eliminate the next pill-free interval as well.
I am also attaching a website you can look at if you want to read more.