Question
Posted by: Uma | 2008/08/28

Does pilates aggravate depression?

A friend suffering from depression was told by her therapist that she should not do pilates, as it will aggravate her depression. Is this true? I suffer from depression and have recently taken up pilates. i find it very relaxing, but am worried that it won' t help with my melancholy!

I have never ever heard such a suggestion, and very much doubt that there's a shred of eidence for such a peculiar pronouncement. Exercise is definitely good for all of us, and especialyl good for depression, whether we find it relaxing, cheering, or both. I don't know anything specific about Pilates that would make it diferent from any other form of exercise. More likely the therapist is sucking this out of her thumb --- maybe she personally had some bad experience with Pilates ?

3
Posted by: Uma | 2008/08/28

I know about the whole endorphin thing... just wanted to make sure that there is not some other mysterious reason for not carrying on with pilates!

Reply to Uma
Posted by: cathy | 2008/08/28

I can' t see why a " therapist"  would say something like that. Aren' t we always told that excercise (spelling!!!!) are good for you especially if you are depressed? I know I' ve done yoga which helped me a lot. and I agree with maria about the endorphins (feel good hormones...)

Reply to cathy
Posted by: Maria | 2008/08/28

I think your friend should ask her therapist to explain. I can' t see how pilates can make depression worse, on the contrary. You' re getting a workout which releases endorphins in your body and make you feel better. And as you build strength and muscle you look and feel better physically as well.

Reply to Maria