Question
Posted by: LOLA | 2010/03/30

does not want to eat!!!

I have miniature french poodle and since I have her at age 6 weeks she has trouble eating. She is 1 and half year old and still batteling. she does not want to eat dried dog food, tried all the best brands, don''t eat tinned food, don''t like mince or scraps from table, will eat chicken today, but not tomorrow, same with other meaty foods like bacon and ham.Feeding her is an enourmous task/problem. Tried royal canin dofood for " fussy dogs"  (YES!!) and she ate it,... but in 88 days iso 22 days as it says on the pack! HELP! what should I do to get LOLA to eat? and believe me, to say, she will eat if she realy is hungr? does not work with her!! She is not sick and is lively, but I just think she should eat a bit better, she is quite thin though.

.

5
Posted by: sahndya | 2010/04/14

Hi, could be a tooth or gum infection. Our dog had tatar buildup and so eating the hard pellets was difficult so he didnt eat

Reply to sahndya
Posted by: annemarie number one fan | 2010/04/06

My Yorkie used to be the same. I followed Chill''s advice and did the following - in the morning his bowl is put down, with fresh food. If he has not eaten it by the time I leave for work, it goes in the fridge. At suppertime, it is put down again. same story, afer 2 hours, it gets chucked away. Next morning, repeat. Next evening, repeat. He is not invited, cajoled, tempted to eat. But when he does, he gets praised : ''good dog'' Now, 4 years later, he eats when he feels like it, and is happy and healthy. Good luck.

Reply to annemarie number one fan

Reply to annemarie number one fan
Posted by: LOLA | 2010/04/02

CHILLi, done all that, got the T-shirt, :-) any other advice from the VET,maybe?

Reply to LOLA
Posted by: Chill | 2010/03/30

No healthy dog has ever starved to death in the presence of food. Sounds to me like you''re going to enormous trouble and stress over this, so here''s my advice:

1. Make absolutely certain she has a clean bill of health, and
2. Provide her with a premium quality commercial dogfood.

Then forget about it and stop fussing - she will eat.

To make YOU feel better: get a tube of nutristim (vet, or dischem) and give her a bit of that every day.

Reply to Chill