Question

Does marijauna smoking in men cause any harm to their unborn child

Good day

I am engaged to be married. My fiance has been smoking marijuana for many years now. I am concerned about what his sperm may contain and how this will affect a possible unborn child. I am not pregnant now but should i even be having a child with him when he smokes for so many years. Any advice will be appreciated, i have read so many articles on the dangers of women smoking while pregnant but none of what a man''s who smokes sperm does to the baby. Please advise.

Thanks, Lynne

Dear Anon

The effect of marijuana on sperm parameters is well documented. There is a definite negative effect on fertility in males who abuse marijuana. However should a pregnancy be established it is unlikely that the embryo will be directly affected and the pregnancy for all purposes should proceed normally.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2010/03/09

Dear Anon

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert