Question
Posted by: Dianne | 2010/03/24

does how a man proposes reflect how he feels?

hi CS

Do you think the way in which a mans proposes to a woman says a lot about how he feels about her?
I''m 40 and my boyfriend of 10 months is 32, we get on really well and love each other dearly. Only thing is i am now 3 months pregnant, so after thinking about if for a few months he asked me to marry him and i said yes, it felt heartfelt, only thing was we were just lying on the couch and it was pretty casual. Partly makes me feel it was comfortable ..part was he a little lazy in planning something? any thoughts from a man''s perspective!!?

thanx
Dianne

Thus far in my long life, no man has ever proposed to me. One or two women have, but that's not what you're asking about !
I think comforable and genuine nsound a lot better than stagily romantic and artificial.
qwerty's suggestions about the next stage, are wise and worth thinking about.

4
Posted by: anon for this | 2010/03/25

i was making love to my GF at the time I proposed...I was planning to propose that weekend in anycase, so during a very heated moment I proposed....she agreed and we still have a good laugh when we think about it and have made up acover story to tell people when they ask how we got engaged.

It was great fun and so memorable.

Reply to anon for this
Posted by: qwerty | 2010/03/25

Hugely over-the-top romantic proposals are completely overrated. It makes everybody nervous, and puts a great deal of pressure on a guy to do something completely out of his comfort zone. As long as he really wants to marry you, and it is something you both want and are willing to work at, the marriage itself is what is going to be the most important thing!

Sit down with him and work through a list of questions about what you both expect from the pending marriage... You''ll get a great deal of insight about how he really feels if you are in any doubt! (my husband and I did that before we got engaged - it was an incredibly useful exercise)
If you google for " questions to ask before marriage"  you''ll find lots of such lists.

Good luck, and congrats! :)

Reply to qwerty

Posted by: Kate | 2010/03/24

I think its sweet, all that romatic stuff and far fetched proposals are for the movies. Yours done when you were both comfortable and as you said it was heartfelt so why worry about where or how it was done.
Give the guy a break, I think all of us women expect proposals like the ones we see in the movies and are dissapointed when we dont get it BUT is that real...
I think real life is better

Reply to Kate