Question
Posted by: babyblue | 2008/08/10

does hormone therapy cause weight loss?

My father has been on hormone replacement therapy for about eight months and has lost a significant amount of weight. When he started he weighed 175 pounds. Now he weighs about 142 pounds and he' s 5' 11. Does this have to do with loss of muscle mass from the hormones?
He has also been complaining about feeling tired an weak.
Can someone let me know whether his symptoms are normal or if there may be something more serious going on.
He has suffered bouts of anorexia and I' m wondering if this may be the cause.
Needless to say, I' m very worried about him.

Expert ImageTransgender advisor

Babyblue

There is no quick answer to your question. It is normally accepted that woman carry more weight than men as their bodies do not metabolise food as well as men. With your father being on hormone replacement (HRT) his metabolism should have slowed and he should essentially begin to pick up weight. Having said this it is very difficult to say that his body will react to hormone replacement the same as a genetic female. Many trans woman (male to female transsexuals) do experience weight gain when on HRT but this is not a hard and fast fact. Each persons genetic makeup is different and it is therefore difficult to conclude that your fathers body will react according to the norm.

My advice is, that if you have a relationship with your dad in which you are able to openly talk about his transgender status and what he is going through, you should try to discuss your concerns with him and try to get him to go to an endocrinologist to have his bodies reaction to the HRT tested.

I don't think the past bouts of anorexia would have an effect on his bodies ability to retain body fat, however anorexia is a psychological condition which is due to self esteem issues and as with many woman your dad's feminine side may be experiencing the same kinds of self image issues. Your dad may have to also have a talk to his therapist or psychologist who is treating him for his transgenderism.

If you need me to provide you with contact details for endocrinologists or psychologists, please go to the link near the top of this page that says "Who is the transgender advisor?" and follow the link. on the page that come up you will find contact details that you can use to contact me and I will be more than willing to provide you with any information you need.