Question
Posted by: The Oracle | 2008/06/25

Does God prorate IQ & Madness?

Why do I get the feeling that God doles out an Intelligence quotient directly equal to the amount of madness in each if His human creations?

You hear of the nutty professor, mad scientists, depressed authors and poets killing themselves by strolling into the ocean.

I've never heard of a bodybuilder/stripper/soccer star suffering from manic depression/schizophrenia/bipolar etc.

This leads me to believe that the your high degree of mental anguish is directly proportioned to your high intelligence.

Have I got it all wrong here?????

Well, speaking as a nutty professor ---
Let's see. I did once treat a depressed and hysterical stripper, but they have not loomed large in my practice over the years. A couple of body builders, ditto. And there have been several severely depressed soccer stars in the British TV news in the last year. SOunds like you've been reading the book The Savage God : A Study of Suice, by Al Alvarez, who especially looked at this issue.
Generally, my experience and what I've found in the scientific and medical literature suggests that those of us who are more creaive by nature, or indeed reasonably intelligent, may brood and think more deeply about our sufferings, whatever their origins, and are far more eloquent in expressing how they feel, rather than necessarily being more prone to such disorders. More intelligent people may be able to spot real or potential problems more readily that less bright brethren, which may not be an advantage if one worries about this in ways that aren't constructive or useful
And of course when notable people get ill, -point hard for them to keep secret ) we all hear about it, and tend to remember it, whereas we don't hear of or recall the many other people who suffer the same fate, nor think of the many authors and artists who are fine and well.
Among the medical profession, most folks expect psychiatrists to lead the suicide league table, but most studies I have seen find Surgeons to be more at risk.

5
Posted by: Kay in Gtown | 2008/06/25

The Oracle-
Kalahari . net has the book. :)
Kay

Reply to Kay in Gtown
Posted by: sandra | 2008/06/25

oracle i love the way you think. why didn't God give the sane population a bit more brains to understand our insane population better? then again i would get highly irratated if everyone keeps saying i know exactly how you feel. oracle feel free to mail me as i think we would have much fun making fun of the sane ones and sharing our insane thoughts. sandraATmalvernDOTcoDOTza. capitals for symbols

Reply to sandra
Posted by: The Oracle | 2008/06/25

I havent read the book but sounds like I would love it. Anyone know where I can get old of it?

Reply to The Oracle
Posted by: John | 2008/06/25

IT, IQ is not an acronym for weight.

Reply to John
Posted by: IT | 2008/06/25

I'm a Bodybuilder; Have an IQ of 142.

Reply to IT