Question
Posted by: Cher | 2008/08/04

does falling affect bones

I have fallen twice down the stairs and once II landed quite heavily on both my knees.
Although I did not break any bones, I would like to know if this will cause problems later in life and whether i could supplement with something to prevent any possible damange. I am a 52yrs old female.

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Cher
Falling like you have and not breaking anything is quite remarkable!
To prevent osteoporosis, you need to ensure a calcium intake of 1000mg per day, exercise (weightbearing like walking) at least 3 times per week, don't smoke and drink alcohol in moderation.
You are probably going or have gone through menopause and you can actually ask your gynae to refer you for a bone density test to see what the bones look like. This would also be a baseline scan which can be used for future reference.