Question
Posted by: Andre | 2008/07/11

Does distillation of water remove poison

Hi there,

I need to clean my own water from the lower Orange river for household purposes. Distilled water seems to be the healthiest way to go. The Orange river contain many poisons used by farmers to kill pests and weeds.

Does water distillation kill these poisons?

Thanx

Andre

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

I recommend that you ask this question to the people that are installing the water distillation units.

Kind regards

6
Posted by: Anon for this | 2008/07/11

Yes, the dr does answer. Normally by the next morning!

Chlorine could form THM's but at a low dose (of 1ppm) you would not stand at risk. Also you get raw water all the time, so there is no build up like in a swimming pool for instance.
As long as you keep your PH at around 6.8 - 7 HAA's would not form as there will be enough "free" H ions

Reply to Anon for this
Posted by: Andre | 2008/07/11

I am well aware that municipalities uses chlorine. That doesn't make it the best / safest option. Chlorine causes health problems. Chlorine can form potentially harmful chemical by-products trihalomethanes (THMs) and haloacetic acids (HAAs), both of which are carcinogenic in large quantities. We're getting a little side tracked here. Do doctors answer these posts?

Reply to Andre
Posted by: Anon for this | 2008/07/11

What do you thing Rand Water, Jo'burg water Magalies Water etc etc etc use to disinfect? Both potable and sewerage water?
If I may ask, why not Chlorine?

Reply to Anon for this
Posted by: Andre | 2008/07/11

Thanks, but no thanks. I am not interested in using chlorine.

Reply to Andre
Posted by: Anon for this | 2008/07/11

Excuse the typing errors PLEASE! But i'm sure you get the just of what you need to do.

Reply to Anon for this
Posted by: Anon for this 1 | 2008/07/11

NO!!
I worked many years in the water industry in RSA at one of the biggest companies in the industry world wide...
The sort answer to your problem is this. Filter the water before you but in in your tank, to take out "large" solids.
Then, the easiest way is to chlorinate with normal chlorine (HTH). You can buy a small test kit at any PnP. Add enough chlorine to have a residual in the tank of 1ppm. Normally that is plus minus 5grams per 1000liters of water, pending on how dirty the water is.
Although the water won’t be clear, it would then be potable.

Reply to Anon for this 1