Question
Posted by: Meena | 2009-01-30

DOES COFFEE CONTRIBUTE TO BONE LOSS?

Hello Doc,

I am a very healthy 40 YO, but have been diagnosed with osteopenia. I am Asian (high risk catagory, apparently) and weigh only 40kg (BMI is 17).
I take 1200mg of Ca per day (with Mg and Zn, Vit D). But I also take brewers yeast and have about 2 cups of coffee everyday.
Firstly, does brewers yeast contribute to bone loss?
Secondly, does moderate intake of coffee contribute to bone loss?
Thirdly, I do weights, running and walking and strength exercises. What is the best type of exercise to prevent me from developing osteoporosis?

Thanks.

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Meena
You are doing all the right things for your bones- remember that because you are tiny, you do start of with less bone than bigger frames individuals- hence the osteopenia.
Brewers yeast will not be harmful to your bones and two cups of coffee per day is fine.
Your exercise regime is also excellent for bone health!