Posted by: IVF123 | 2009-02-26

Does changing our diet improve fertility

Hi Dr, we are about to start our first IVF treatment (I produce antibodies to my husband’ s sperm), and we were wondering if it would better our chances of falling pregnant if we changed our diet. And if you can give us advise on the type of diet we can follow. And, if it is really necessary to change our diet. Could you refer us to a website discussing this, or any good books we can read on the subject. We have already cut alcohol and caffeine out of our diets. Thank you once again for this board, it is really amazing to be able to talk and share with others.

Dear IVF123

Provided that you are adhering to a well balanced diet and that you do not suffer from insulin resistance or polycystic ovarian syndrome I do not believe that it is necessary to make any major changes to your diet. The effects of alcohol and caffeine have been well described and you have already taken the necessary steps in this regard. The only additional recommendation I have is to add a folic acid supplement which is beneficial to implantation as well as to the early development of the embryo.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim