Question
Posted by: Not sure | 2008/07/21

does bipolar exist?

afternoon dr. silly question but is there really such a thing as bipolar. Dont most people exhibit the same symptoms. All people feel up and down in life.

Maybe you should Google both Bipolar and the DSV-IV, to check the diagnostic criteria needed to diagnose bipolar disorder, and to differentiate it from the more trivial variations in mood that are indeed normal. In Bipolar Disorder, the mood shifts are much more extreme and disabling

1
Posted by: Curious | 2008/07/21

I have a friend who is bi-polar and yes, all people feel up and down at times but in her it is really, really extreme. She doesn' t just feel happy, she feels ecstatic, thinks she can climb Everest, she doesn' t just feel down, she tries to commit suicide. From my observations they have the same feelings as " normal"  (if there is such a thing) people but in them it is X 100.

I do think that some people put it on to gain attention, another certain person I know does strange things when she feels she is not the centre of attention, she claims she is bi-polar but I think it is an act to focus attention on her.

Reply to Curious