Question
Posted by: Visiting | 2009/02/13

Q.

Does anyone have a child at Kenridge Primary?

We are moving to the city (Durbanville area) during the April holiday. I' m considdering enrolling my son at Kenridge Primary, but know nothing about the school. Can anyone help with their experience of this school? I' ve visited the website and have all the info, I' ve made an appointment to visit the school with my son but I' m not getting a welcomming nurturing feeling from them yet. We' ve been spoilt that my son has been able to attend a private school in the country with only 200 children in the school and 12 kids per class, I know we won' t get that in the city, but my son needs to atleast feel welcome.

11
user comments

C.

Posted by: VIljoen | 2013/08/22

Can anyone comment on which is the best school between Durbanville Preparatory and Eversdal Primary? We moved from Pretoria to Durbanville earlier this year. My daughter got accepted at both schools for grade 1 2014, but we don't know which to choose.

Reply to VIljoen
Posted by: Rosanne | 2013/04/26

Both of my girls are at Kenridge Primary, My eldest is in grade 6 and my youngest in grade 3. Kenridge is an excellent school and my girls are both very happy there. They offer a wide variety of sports and cultural activities. It is a big school, but the classes usually have 30 or less pupils at a time. All the teachers that my girls have had have been wonderful. Kenridge also encourages parents to be involved by attending school functions and sport days etc. My eldest daughter has attention deficit disorder and has required a great deal of extra support over the last few years. Kenridge has been very supportive and assisted me in various ways to help my daughter function optimally at school. This year she is medication free, thanks to the love and support provided by all her teachers and grade head. Good luck with finding a school for your son.

Reply to Rosanne
Posted by: Murtle | 2009/02/14

All three of my kids attended Kenridge. They are an excellent school But they are much bigger than Welgemoed. Their sport is very good and all their other extra murals. I have a friend whose daughter goes to Welgemoed, she is very happy with them. But it does depend on which area of Durbanville you live in. I do not know much about Durbanville Primary. I have heard that Durbanville prepatory is very sport orientated. Kenridge iin my opinion is a good school but there classes are bigger than welgemoed. Kenridge also has more english speaking children than welgemoed. On the whole I think most of the primary schools in the Durbanville area are quite good. Others you can take a look at is Eversdal and Gene Louw. The private schools are Curro and Chesterhouse. Good Luck I am sure you will find the one that will suit your son.

Reply to Murtle
Posted by: Visiting | 2009/02/13

Hi B

I am so pleased to hear such nice things about the school from some one who knows :-). We are actually an Afrikaans family, so he' ll be attending an Afrikaans class.

Thanks for your help, perhaps I' ll see you next term!

Reply to Visiting
Posted by: B | 2009/02/13

On the first day I went there to check out the school their friendlyness was one of the things that struck me as lacking in other schools. They really made time to make me feel welcome, even called one of the grade one teachers out of her class to come and show me around etc.

My kids are in grade 3 and grade 1 (this is our 3rd year there). If your son is in grade 2, and you do decide to send him there, try to request Mrs Ford for his teacher if possible (if you are going english). She is lovely, the kids really like her and she is a really good teacher. The other teachers are also very good but Mrs Ford is the most popular.

Reply to B
Posted by: Visiting | 2009/02/13

Hi B and Maria

Thanks for your comments!

B
I spoke to someone at Welgemoed earlier and I must say it sounds like ou kind of school. I love the way the lady had time to chat with me and offered for my child to come visit the school. I like that they are smaller and I don' t mind what they do about sports - we aren' t fanatics :-) I feel much more confident enroling my son there now. Which grades are your children in? How are the 2nd grade teachers? My son will be in grade 2 there.

Maria
You are right Kenridge will only take learners from neighbourhoods within a certain radious of the school. We will live in De Oude Westhof, so that falls within their ' catchment area' . I considdered Durbanville Prep - they seem nice too, but apparently it is abit out of the way and their classes have 10 more children per class than Welgemoed does - which is something I need to considder.

Have a wonderful weekend ladies and thanks for being so helpful.

Reply to Visiting
Posted by: Maria | 2009/02/13

Where you live might play a big role in determining which school you can go to. I know that Kenridge claims not to accept kids from outside their catchment area. You could also look at Durbanville Preparatory/Primary schools.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Annies | 2009/02/13

Sorry I don' t know anyone who' s children are going to Welgemoed.

Reply to Annies
Posted by: B | 2009/02/13

Hi Visiting

My children are at Welgemoed primary. I am extremely happy there. The school on a whole is much smaller than Kenridge. The classes are smaller to (maximum 30 children then they either split the class or get a second teacher/helper into the class). Kenridge is a huge school so much so that they have to have staggered breaks because the children can' t all fit on the field together. Kenridge is however a lot more sports orientated than Welgemoed is (Welgemoed does do all sport just not a focussed on it). Welgemoed is more academically orientated. They still have alot of what we call the " afrikaans structure"  good discipline and values. It used to be an afrikaans school but is now dual medium with a high percentage (over 50%) of english learners. They have an excellent aftercare if your children need it where they have qualified teachers for each standard to help with homework. They also make sure that the children attend all their afterschool activities. They are open all school holidays except a few weeks in Descember.

Reply to B
Posted by: Visiting | 2009/02/13

Thank you Annies, I appreciate your comment, it does help to make me feel better.

You are right, our private school is only a R100 more a month than the school fees as Kenridge! :-) We won' t find that again!

Would you by any chance know anything about Welgemoed Primary?

Reply to Visiting
Posted by: Annies | 2009/02/13

I know someone who' s children are in Kenridge Primary and they are very happy their. They really have a lot of opportunities their. There is a private school in Sonstraal Heights, but it will definately be much more expensive than a private school in the country. Good Luck

Reply to Annies

Want to comment?