Posted by: Colleen | 2009-09-10

Does antibiotic affect Triodene?

I just have a simple question please:
Does the antibiotic Cyclimycin -50 Minocycline HCI (im using it for my skin) have any affect on the effectiveness of the contraception Triodene?
Thanks so much!

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi Colleen

Oral antibiotics may indeed decrease the effectiveness of birth control pills. This is uncommon, but possible, especially if you notice break-through bleeding.

This is because antibiotics alter the gut flora and affect the re-absorption of oestrogen.

However, if the antibacterial course exceeds 3 weeks, the bacterial flora develop antibacterial resistance and additional precautions become unnecessary unless a new antibacterial is prescribed - therefore if a woman is already taking the combined oral contraceptive and commences prolonged antibiotic treatment then additional precautions are required for the first 3 weeks only.