Question
Posted by: Thandi | 2011/09/22

does acne lessen over time?

Hi Expert

I''ve fought angry cystic acne for close to 30 yrs, with no success. It came when I was 10 yrs old, beginning on my jawline. My entire face as well as part of my chest have been aflame with acne ever since then.

Roaccutane (7 courses), Diane 35 (5 courses), numerous antibiotics, Androcur (2 courses), Bactrim, Yasmin, Skinoren, Differin, laser therapy, microdermabrasion, diet changes - you name it I have tried it. There literally is nothing left to try. The natural/homeopathic route has failed me as catastrophically as the dispensary route has. Expensive topical treatments purchased from skin care counters or ordered from overseas have failed me as catastrophically as the cheap pimple ointments in the local supermarket.

Over R30k and some 18 dermatologists later, I now have just accepted this is just my lot in life - I am just someone who must live with horrible skin.

I wanted to know however, if you could shed light on whether the ageing process helps acne go away? As I approach my 40s, I am finding myself hopeful the acne will lessen and hopefuly be totally gone by the time I am 45 or so. After 30 solid years of acne, with not even a week''s break from inflammation and pain, 5 more years to go would be nothing. Does acne tend to lessen with age? Please tell me I have something to look forward to in my golden years. My entire so-called ''beauty years'' were completely ruined by this affliction, to the extent I couldn''t even date anyone. I now just hope and pray I will at least be a beautiful old lady. I was last beautiful age 10.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Thandi, thank you for the question and I sincerely sorry to hear what you have been through – I can’t even try to imagine what it must be like.

It certainly sounds like you have tried every conceivable treatment for controlling acne but I do believe that you should consider using a relatively new technology known as PDT (photo dynamic therapy) and the gold standard is the Omnilux (please phone Genop Healthcare who are SA’s distributors to find a doctor which uses their machines at (011) 5456600.

The technology has shown to give excellent results even for drug resistant acne; the basis is LED lights that emit a wavelength that destroys the bacteria that cause the acne outbreaks. If you have not gone this route it is definitely worth considering. A course will include 2 to 3 sessions (lasting 20 minutes each) for 8 weeks and one may have to repeat these courses for further improvements or to prevent recurrences.

I would also consider 3 to 4 weekly glycolic or salicylic acid peels as these have also shown benefits in drug resistant acne.

Unfortunately age may or may not allow the acne to improve so I am sorry to say that the future may bring the same but it also may bring the improvement you are hoping for.
I hope the above has helped but please submit another question if you need any further info.

2
Posted by: Nico Barendse | 2011/09/27

Hi Thandi

Have you tried Cyclidox? It works well with me.

Please let me know.

Nico

Reply to Nico Barendse
Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2011/09/23

Reply to anti-ageing expert