Question
Posted by: Sarah | 2012/02/27

Does a blood transfusion change things mentally?

I had a total blood transfusion at birth. Was a tiny and prem and sick baby girl not expected to live. Grew up and made up for lost time.

My father was a nightmare (very serious mental issues and violent) and he ended up killing himself. My two brothers are rotters. I am not. My mom said the other day she wonders if the blood transfusion changed things in some way? I wonder because surely not with DNA and all that right? I have inherited health problems that are on the maternal side so I doubt it, but wondered.

Personally I think that everthing good comes from my mom''s side. There are no good people or habits or examples one can attribute to the paternal side.

No. If you need a blood transfusion, it should be useful. But sometimes the REASON why a blood transfusion was given, the cause of the transfusion, as it were, might cause later problems of various kinds. Sometimes a very tiny prem baby might suffer various forms of damage if not well cared for, but it sounds as though you were well cared for at that time.
Various mental problems in close relatives can increase your risk of developing similar problems yourself - its not at all likely, but more likely than if every relative had been superbly mentally well. One may ingherit a degree of risk of developing some problems.
Then one's upbringing influences how one's genes develop and show themselves, and if your mom was a stable person, that would have helped.

1