Question
Posted by: Lee | 2010/09/16

Does a 4year old get tired?

I am a single parent of a 4 year old daughter. She has been in daycare since 18months old as the domestics I had before did not care for her properly. These days she wakes up in the morning and tells me that she doesnt want to go to daycare, she would much rather go to the beach. She will tell me that I musnt go to work because we should go somewhere. I do realise that unlike kids at " big"  school they dont close during holiday times, and she doesnt get the 4 holidays as the other kids. The only time she has time off from school is when I take leave and that is for 2 weeks in December, sometimes I am not granted this leave and she will have to go to another daycare. I am thinking of taking her out of daycare for a week just so that she can go to family to take a break. She is normally up at 6, school by 7 and i pick her up at 16h30, i understand that this is a long day. Should i give her a break or am I overreacting.

Does a 4 year-old get tired ? Yes, after about 15 years.
She can't miss having holidays like the other kids - in a sense, Holidays are a theoretical concept she doesn't have. She can't miss not having what she hasn't had before. And unless she's at a most unusual daycare center, the "schooling" is usually more fun than most school-kids get during the holidays.
I think youj may be over-reacting a bit, and she may be more bothered by how bothered you are, than by a lack of holidays

3
Posted by: simone | 2010/09/16

She needs some attention.I advise you take he rsomewhere with you or send her to the family if she wants to to relax a little.That will help the child not get depressed.Children are very sensitive.Be with her,she needs you.

Reply to simone
Posted by: Maria | 2010/09/16

It is a very long day, and I think perhaps she is telling you that she needs more of your attention. It''s hard when you''re a single parent. If she knows the family and feels secure with them they why not send her there for a week? It will give both of you a break.

Reply to Maria