Question
Posted by: SHOCKED!!! | 2010/12/09

Doctors......?

Hi doc. I was quite shocked &  still am very very shocked at what I had experienced with a certain doctor on Monday night. I was feeling really terrible, I lost feeling in both my arms I was in a state, went to a doctor who was the only one close to us than the hospital, I get there, himself &  his receptionist are more tickled by each other than acting professional.I was so dizzy, my whole body was numb I cant sit or even walk &  he is more interested in why I got married so young &  where we live &  making jokes like its part of a comedy show, the receptionist (both) more interested in making jokes than helping me. I got to a point where I told my husband just take me to the hospital, I would rather pay way more but get attended to in time rather than have every one worry about all my personal issues. He showed no interest in helping me just did blood pressure check up &  said he is treating me for panic attacks &  anxiety. That was Monday night, I could barely even remember anything from that night because of how I was feeling. The last thing on my mind was a sick note for work but I thought nothing of it, he isnt my GP just to keep the story straight. I phone yesterday to ask what time he will be in, they say 5. I get there before 5 &  apparently he is having his early supper he''ll be there at Half 5. Wait till then &  apparently his running late. So i wait a little longer &  eventually from being there before 5 im only getting the note at 18:30 &  the best part is I have to pay R30 for my sick note. I had a freak out right there. It was the first time in my life I had ever gone to a doctor &  had to pay for a piece of paper with just my name , address &  details of what I was treated for. Then his receptionist says if we had asked the same day we wouldnt have to pay but because we came later its R30 &  also because he had to stop whatever he was doing just to write the sick note. OMG he was supposed to be there at 5, he was way later than he said he would be there &  he got in &  sat on the phone for so long, what was he doing? performing brain surgery? that apparently he had to stop what he was doing to write me the note thats why i have to pay R30. Cant belive this shit, since when are the people we trust with our health making us pay &  not even for proper treatment.Are doctors nowdays just in it for the money? Is this a normal thing or is he just trying to make money of of us?

Dear Shocked
Although a doctor is entitled to charge you for administrative things (like writing a sicknote or giving a repeat prescription)I don't think he treated you very professionally and you have reason to be upset. If I were you, I would not visit him again. I don't think he was very professional in his management of you.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/12/10

Dear Shocked