Posted by: Thinline | 2008-10-30

Doctor won' t return my calls

Hello.I have a very complex medical history and have been seeing a rheumatologist for a few months. At first she was incredible, she had a plan and she was in contact with me and my other specialists. Then suddenly she wouldn' t return my calls. Before now I' d only phoned her once and that time she phoned me back immediately. Now I have left FIVE messages for her and she has not bothered to phone me back. I have followed every bit of advice she' s given me, I have not been a demanding patient, I have never phoned her unless absolutely necessary - only to get blood results. I' ve asked her receptionist if she is getting my messages and she said she was definitely giving them.

What now? I am at a loss as to what to do. I was seeing a pain specialist, but have stopped going there and was relying on the rhematologist to help me, rather take meds aimed at controlling the disease instead of narcotics to control the pain, but now she seems to have dumped me completely - admittedly I was not responding too well to the treatment she put me on, but surely she has some duty to either treat me or to refer me to a different specialist. I can' t face starting at the beginning with a different doctor.

Please could you advise me on what I should do. Thanks in advance.

Dear Thinline
I think you should make an appointment and discuss this with her face to face. Although the receptionist said she passed on the messages, it could have been distorted or the urgency of it may have been downplayed. Very few doctors would just "sidestep" a patient that is in need. Alternatively, ask the receptionist when would be a good time to phone and talk to her directly.