Posted by: Marlene | 2009-03-03

Doctor do you know this protocol?

Hi docter Cassim
I need some clarity, my sister-in-law used Fertomid for 4 cycles with no success, she changed FS &  was told to use Fertomid 100mg day 5-11 (7days instead on 5) &  had two ovidril shots one on cycle day 15, &  on 18, she did not do any A/I just timed intercourse. She also had estrogen 10mg from day 1.She confirmed her BFP by blood works last week. I'  m on Femara, for the last 4 cycles, and would like to try her protocol, wich day' s have higher success rates, later in cycle? or earlier in cycle? did you ever recommend your patience to take Fertomid for 7 days instead of 5 days? and what is the benefit when you trigger twice on different days? I' m very worried since I' m already 40 years.... and have one blocked tube, your assistace will be highly appreciated.
Thank you in advance

Dear Marlene

We have not recommended using Fertomid for more than 5 days in our patients. If Fertomid is used at a higher dose such as a 100mg, we would suggest monitoring with an ultrasound to see that you avoid hyperstimulation, as this is possible with very high doses of Fertomid tablets. I am not sure of the benefit of triggering twice on different days, if ovulation is not taking place despite Ovidril on the first day then we would normally recommend doubling the dose of Ovidril to help would ovulation instead of taking it on a different day. The fact that you are 40 years old and have one blocked fallopian tube I suggest that you see a fertility specialists as soon as possible to increase your chances of falling pregnant as soon as possible.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo